June 20, 2022
Jo Palmer, Minister of Primary Industries and Water
The Liberal Government of Tasmania takes animal welfare very seriously and that is why we are taking action to further strengthen the Animal Welfare Act.
Developed with the RSPCA and key stakeholders, the project Animal Welfare Amendment Bill 2022 is now open for public submissions.
Draft Invoice aims to better protect Tasmanian animals by strengthening the provisions of the Animal Welfare Act 1993 for the repression and prosecution of offences.
The main amendment proposals include:
- Expand the meaning of “elimination” to include euthanasia, sale or rehousing;
- Reverse the burden of proof so that an animal is presumed to belong to the person named as the owner in any animal welfare complaint, unless proven otherwise;
- Further clarify animal ethics committee approvals for animal research;
- Provide additional sentencing options for animal cruelty and aggravated cruelty;
- Prohibit the use of prong collars;
- Extend the entry powers of authorized agents;
- Extend the powers of agents authorized to take possession of animals;
- Give magistrates the power to order the seizure and immediate disposal of animals at risk;
- Reduce the time that animal carcasses must be kept;
- Provide for the possibility of requesting information from interstate persons; and
- Provide for prompt cost recovery for the care of seized animals.
Public submissions on the project Invoice will close at 5 p.m. on July 20, 2022.
This government has already strengthened the Animal Welfare Actincluding increasing the sentence for aggravated cruelty up to $33,600 and/or a maximum custodial sentence of five years in prison.
We take animal welfare seriously and are implementing our plan for more contemporary laws.
To view a copy of the draft legislation and access general information about the proposed changes, including instructions on how to submit a submission, visit nre.tas.gov.au/awa
More press releases from Jo Palmer
Other press releases from the Minister of Primary Industries and Water